Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm making a big pot of Cream Peas.
For anyone who doesn't know what Cream Peas are, you just don't know what you're missing!
Cream Peas are similar to Purple Hull Peas but they have a milder, creamier taste. 'Course, there's chance you have no idea what Purple Hulls are either.....
Cream Peas, Purple Hulls, Blackeyed Peas, Crowder Peas, Field Peas.... They're each a different southern 'delicacy'. Usually fresh peas are only available in mid-summer (we're already hot here in Texas), seems I've found these alittle earlier than usual, and they can cost you more per pound than a lot of good steaks but they're sooooo worth every penny!
CreamPeas are my second favorite.... Field Peas with lots of tender snaps are my VERY MOST FAVORITE. But I know these Cream Peas are gona be great!
If want a sensational, healthy, filling meal, try the simple southern version.
I think my favorite meal ever is a few slices of fresh, ripe, red sliced tomatoes covered with steaming hot peas, an ear of corn on the side and hot, southern, fried cornbread..... No sugar in the cornbread and forget the butter for the corn or the cornbread. You won't need it.
I had a friend from up north who years ago said I made a plate of peas taste better than a filet mignon! Those words are from a yankee so don't close your mind........ taste 'em first!
We went by a vegetable stand just a ways from here on Sunday and I stopped, just in time.... they were about to close up and I found the Cream Peas, some Blackeyed Peas, tomatoes and Georgia peaches..... I'll be doing a Peach Cream Pie for Memorial Day.
Peas are so easy to cook.... Much as I love mine, they're still not as good as Grandma's in Florida. NOTHING I cook is as good as hers.
Just rinse the peas well, put in a big pot with plenty of water, some salt pork, onion, pepper, maybe a little salt depending on how salty your salt pork is, I find out here, unless you find pork jowls, there's really very little salt on the salt pork. Bring to a boil, skim off the foam, lower the heat and cook, simmering, about an hour and a half or so until they're done, tender but not mushy.

Make some fried corn bread.....And enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment