Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I mentioned before I believe that I'd found some fantastic peaches at HEB and for just .97 a pound. They were so good Iggie and I ate them up and I went back for more. They were down to .88 a pound, whoopee!!!
So, I bought some more and decided to make 'something' for Memorial Day to take over to Liz's house where she'd invited a few friends to come eat and hang out.In the summer time I used to go visit Daddy and the family and I remember my Uncle Johnny and his family would come down from Georgia with lots of fresh, yummy, Georgia peaches. To make peach ice cream.
Oh My Goodness. That was THE BEST stuff. I remember, too, that Daddy couldn't stand to touch the fuzzy peaches, kinda had that fingernails on the chalkboard effect on him. So somebody had to peel 'em, probably Shirley, our very special, patient stepmother. (Gosh, how did she put up with all of us kids ??? 5 of us and 5 more of their own!!!)
So.... this weekend I got out the old ice cream maker, plugged it in and it only hummed. No action. But, I went to JC Penney and found a great one on sale. Mine only made 1 1/2 qts but the new one makes a gallon. Now I'm goin in the right direction!
I'd already peeled and cut up the peaches so I headed over to Liz's with a new ice cream maker for her, too. Hers was 30 years old and she was thinking it was time for a new one.


We made the peach ice cream and a batch of vanilla.......... Oh, how fabulous!The peach was delicous and immediatley reminded me of being a kid with the first bite. The vanilla.... it was like heaven!
Yeh, the peach was delicous but the vanilla was out of this world.
So, I'm gona share the recipe we used.... And you can tell, Iggie was pretty pleased with it, too!
It was the ultimate, wonderful end to a really yummy meal. Some of the people had never had homemade ice cream. Can you imagine????????
WHY DON'T I DO THIS MORE OFTEN?
Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat; cool quickly by setting pan in ice and stirring the mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze immediately. When ready to freeze, pour custard and vanilla into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
Makes 12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment