Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Even tho' the weather's just about unbearably hot here in Texas (I think it's at about 20 - 30 days in a row over 100) I just had to find an interesting recipe to cook something different and as it turns out, hot or not, it was a soup.
Of course I've changed the recipe a bit added this and taken that out to make it more to our taste. But all in all, it's just what I had in mind and I can't hardly wait to make a big pot full when the weather cools down.
I bought a pot a few weeks ago. . . . . . 'cause I've realized I tend to fill up whatever pot I'm using and not having a house full, just three of us now, the pot needed to be a little smaller. Anyway, I love the new pot. Not quite as large as the typical dutch oven that comes with a set . . kinda like a saucepan, with the long handle, just bigger than any saucepan I've ever had. I just looked, it's 4 1/2 qt. Perfect size!
So I checked to see what I had around here to mix up something yummy and I end up with a pot of Sausage, Bean and Turnip Green soup. Turnip Greens? Doesn't sound like a typical comination, huh? But it was soooo yummy.
I thought I'd have to "doctor it up" with several spices to get a hearty flavor but, nope, the seasoning from the sausage was perfect........ in fact, go easy on the salt until you've tasted your soup.
So here you go:
In a large pot cook 1 lg. chopped onion in 1 T. olive oil until onion is soft. Remove "skins" from the links of 1 Lb. Hot Italian Sausage, discarding the "skin", add sausage to the onions. Stir the meat breaking it up into chunks as it cooks.Fix up a pan of corn bread and you're gona love it!
Cook until not quite browned.
Add 1 can diced tomatoes (You can use a regular size can or a large...
depending on your tastes for tomatoes), 2 (15.5 oz.) cans cannellini
beans (rinsed), 1 1Lb. bag frozen collard, mustard or turnip greens, 3 cans low
sodium chicken broth, 1/2 tsp. pepper and bring to a hard boil.
Reduce heat to a light boil with lid on pot for 45-60 minutes.
Remove lid and continue to boil lightly till it reduces to a much thickersoup, 30-60 minutes or so. I like the soup to cool then I taste it to get an accurate sense of if it needs salt. Remember, Don't add any salt until it's finished cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment