Friday, January 14, 2011

Pot Likker Soup

 My sister, Tammy was thinking of me a couple weeks ago and I'm so glad!
She lives in Florida and she and her husband run Aunt Catfish's on the river restaurant in Port Orange and she sent me an email telling about this soup they serve at lunch time.
Well, I just don't think there's anything better than a bowl of blackeyed peas or greens with a slice of tomato and fresh cornbread so when I saw this and realized they're both in this soup I asked.... "How did I not know about this before?"
I have friends out here in Texas who call themselves southerners but I wasn't so sure they truly are.... I mean, I love 'em but they kinda screw up their faces like they smell something bad when I mention something like this soup.
I changed the recipe just a little bit after I made the first pot and I have to say, I like it better with the changes.
This is my version.....
Start with 2 lbs, about four bunches of collar greens. Remove and discard the stems.Wash 'em in cold water and tear 'em into about 1" pieces. Bring to a boil in a large pot covered with water, drain, and repeat.
 Cut 2 lbs of boneless ham into large chunks, place in a bowl, toss with 2 - 4 tablespoons of hot sauce. I used Lousiana Hot Sauce because I wanted flavor more than heat. ( I used 6 Tablespoons and I don't like spicy food!)
Put the ham and hot sauce in a large pot with 3 tablespoons heated olive oil cooking over med high about 8 - 10 minutes until the meat is brown. DON'T try to skip this part.... This creates the base flavor for the yummy pot likker.


Add 3 med onions, chopped and 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, chopped and cook until the onions are tender.
Add 1 cup pork jowls cut into small pieces (The original recipe doesn't call for jowls but it really adds to the flavor.) and cook just two minutes more.

Now it's time to add the greens, and a good 4 cups of fresh turnips you've peeled and cubed. I like them to be good size. The recipe calls for potatoes...... I think the turnips are better.

You add 4 cans of blackeyed peas and/or field peas, drained or 4 16oz bags of the peas, frozen, 4-5 cans of chicken broth, 2 cups of water 2 tablespoons of white vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
Cook another hour..
You can used field peas...  blackeyed peas or crowder peas or whatever you choose. Just know... this is southern cooking at it's best.

Make a pan of plain old corn bread..... I don't care for sweet corn bread for a meal like this personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment